TaylorMade’s ascent, MacGregor’s descent and Heavy Putter’s new marketing icon. Here’s the latest putter buzz on the PGA Tour and beyond:
1. TaylorMade is red hot on the putter front right now. Just a week ago, its Spider and Kia Ma putters simultaneously won tournaments on the PGA, LPGA and Champions tours. Also, the company is rolling out its new Spider Balero, the latest addition to the Spider family. Now TaylorMade is generating tour buzz with its prototype TaylorMade RS putters (for Red Stripe, pictured here), as reported in GolfWorld. The TaylorMade Red Stripe putters are already available in Japan. No word on U.S. retail availabilty at this moment, but you can find a Japanese issue Red Stripe putter at TourSpecGolf, a U.S.-based retailer of Japanese golf gear.
2. PutterZone.com was the first to report that John Daly had switched to the Heavy Putter MID-WEIGHT K4 model a few weeks ago. Now he has apparently struck a promotional deal with Heavy Putter, as he now appears on the Heavy Putter home page. Heavy Putter’s familiar new rallying cry of “7 out of 10 golfers chose the new MID-WEIGHT” is now accompanied by the following tagline: “So did John Daly.”
3. Zach Johnson recently switched from a SeeMore putter…to a SeeMore putter. Truly, it wasn’t much of a switch. Johnson traded his original SeeMore FGP (the one that helped him win the Masters) for the similar FGP Stainless with a black finish. That’s quite an endorsement for SeeMore’s new Stainless line of putters as a replacement for the original aluminum bronze SeeMore putters. Johnson promptly won the Valero Texas Open after the switch.
4. Just a little more than a year ago, MacGregor Golf seemed to be on a roll. Not only had Greg Norman taken over as the company’s chairman, but famed putter designer Bobby Grace had introduced the second iteration of his MacGregor DCT putters. Alas, the venerable MacGregor brand has taken a quick tumble. It cut ties with Grace last June, and now the Shark is out of the picture as the MacGregor Golf brand has been sold to the retailer Golfsmith.
5. Steve Stricker wielded an Odyssey White Hot Tour #2 Putter on the march to victory yesterday.
6. PutterZone.com is now on Facebook. Click here to check it out.